It’s been almost four months since passage of S3419, New York’s historic equal rights legislation. Yet one critical step remains: making sure Governor Andrew Cuomo signs S3419 into law. While the bill is not yet on his desk, we have continued to let him know how important this bill is for all of us. That’s where you also come in, likely again.
Even if you have done so already, contact Governor Cuomo once more to request that he sign S3419 into law. The bill will end more than eight decades of secrecy surrounding adoptees’ original birth certificates. It’s important for all of us to contact him. It’s important now whether you have contacted him before or whether have never contacted him at all. Your voice has made a difference in the past and it continues to make a difference today.
Contact Info for Governor Cuomo
Phone: (518) 474-8390
Online Contact: Click Here
The Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo
Governor of New York State
NYS State Capitol Building
Albany, NY 12224
You can write, call, or email and ask Governor Cuomo to sign S3419. Tell him why this issue is important to you and what his signature means. If you want to add more details, consider some of these facts:
- S3419/A5494 had the most total cosponsors of any bill this legislative session. It has incredible bipartisan support from all corners of the state;
- The legislature overwhelmingly approved S3419 by a total vote of 196-12. That’s 56 senators and 140 assembly members, or a whopping 94 percent of all New York legislators who voted.
- An unprecedented number of adoptees, adoptive parents, birth/first parents, and allies joined together in support of S3419, including dozens of prominent national and state organizations who specifically endorsed the bill;
- No known organized opposition to S3419 exists. None. Even long-time opponents reversed their positions, apologized for their prior opposition, and voiced strong public support before voting in favor of S3419.
- As always, adding your own personal story or connection to adoption is important. And make sure you mention S3419, the Adoptee Rights Bill, specifically in your subject line or in your phone call so that Governor Cuomo’s office logs your support for the right bill. He still has hundreds of bills to consider at this point and we don’t want S3419 to get lost in that pile.
As always, thanks for all you have done to get us here today, on the threshold of making history.